Which health centre in Mississippi?
Health centre in Mississippi Public Health Centre MISSISSIPPI, Miss.
— A Mississippi health centre that receives federal funding has closed its doors after federal officials said it was unsafe to perform medical procedures.
The Mississippi Department of Health and Human Services said Tuesday it was closing the Health Center for non-emergency operations.
The centre has a capacity of about 30 beds.
Officials said it’s unclear how long the facility will remain open.
In July, the Mississippi Department and County Health Departments announced that the centre would close.
Officials at the centre told reporters that they have a long-standing agreement with the state to share equipment and personnel, but they could not confirm whether the agreement had expired.
Health centre director J.D. Brown said Tuesday that his centre was closed because of a lack of funds.
“We have had no funding for our operation, and we have been forced to close the facility as we have no other choice,” he said.
Brown said he had been planning to reopen the centre.
He said the centre’s closure comes as a result of “a lack of resources, and a lack that’s not going to be addressed in a timely manner.”
He said the closure of the centre “is not related to any outbreak” and that it was merely a matter of “fiscal constraints.”
“The fact that it’s closed is not a result that we are facing,” he added.
The centre had received $3.8 million in federal funding for fiscal year 2017.
State health officials said the health centre’s operations were safe and that there were no health-care workers and no staff working outside of the facility.
The centres director said it will continue to serve as a safe, supervised space for patients.
But the centre was the site of a deadly outbreak that killed 14 people in 2014.
In 2015, the centre received federal funding that was supposed to provide $200,000 a month to provide medical care to people in the state.
Officials at the Mississippi centre said they will work with the federal government to determine what to do next.
Last month, Health and Hospitals Secretary Ben Kallo said the state would begin to seek a new operator for the centre, as it was facing “an acute staffing and funding shortfall.”
Kallo told reporters Tuesday that a new owner would be selected at the beginning of next year, and would take over operations at the end of 2021.
Kalo said the department was still looking for a new buyer, and that the state will continue its work to find a new provider.